Reserved system space on XP Pro

Judderman 20:27 26 Jun 2004

I have an 80 gig hard drive divided roughly 60/20. The "C" partion (60) is now about half full, should be no problem, but diskeeper strugles to defrag it because most of the free space is "system reserved". What is it and how do I limit it.

anon1 20:42 26 Jun 2004

Right click the hard drive and choose disk clean up option then defrag it. If you are using nero then you might also look for files that nero has saved that you dont want ( like image files).

Judderman 21:21 27 Jun 2004

Thanks for your response anon1, but the problem was'nt a lack of free space, but that nearly all of it had been reserved for the system. I have now traced the problem to an option that was checked in PC Booster to reserve space to allow the MFT to grow freely. Normality has been restored.

Thanks again.

Judderman 21:22 27 Jun 2004

Thanks for your response anon1, but the problem wasn't a lack of free space, but that nearly all of it had been reserved for the system. I have now traced the problem to an option that was checked in PC Booster to reserve space to allow the MFT to grow freely. Normality has been restored.

Thanks again.

safemode 21:56 27 Jun 2004

why do people insist on using crap programs like "pcbooster" they always do more harm than good.

anyone that knows anything about computers will tell you that!

take note and happy computing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?