Replacing Windows 7pro with XP pro

greybeard 22:50 06 Dec 2015

I'm now trying to remove win7 pro, and instal xp, on a Toshiba Satellite Pro with no other software or files present.

I have a genuine xp pro cd with service pack 2 included.

I created a 39G partition alongside the win7 OS, (with the original intention of creating a dual boot system), and inserted the xp disc, and re booted. It starts to load a number of files, then gets as far as "loading windows" and stops. "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down....." "Technical information: * STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've looked at several methods of installing xp, but I can't get beyond this. The bottom line is to buy an empty hdd and instal my xp on that, because I don't need win7 on this laptop ! But it does seem that I'm just giving up, when I should be trying to learn new skills. I suppose I need to delete all partitions on the hdd then try installing xp, but I'm not sure if this is correct, or how to do it.

It someone could either guide me through the process, or post me a link to a brain dead procedure, I'd be very grateful.

xania 10:06 07 Dec 2015

There are two separate articles I would suggest you read. The first confirms the correct procedure for installing XP with 7 already installed, including what to do if certain situations arise; the second specifically deals with the error code 0x0000007B and you will see there are lots of different reasons why this may occur and how to deal with them:

click here

href

greybeard 10:32 07 Dec 2015

Hi Xania, and thanks for your help. Two points - 1. Your second link gives me a 404 error. 2. I don't know the terminology of 'slipstreaming' in this context.

I now think it might be a lot easier for me to get rid of 7 completely, and just have xp installed on this laptop. Would that be correct ?

John

alanrwood 10:52 07 Dec 2015

For a dual boot you need to install XP before Win 7 if you are starting from a clean disk.

greybeard 11:07 07 Dec 2015

No. Delete win 7, and replace with XP. Not dual boot.

Terry Brown 11:32 07 Dec 2015

When you uninstall XP, you will also need to download Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) and Service Pack 3 (SP3) otherwise you will not be able to run your system on the internet. These files are not easily found on the internet now, however I have copies on my harddrive, which I can send you (via Gmail drive or Dropbox).This will enable you to get the Microsoft updates for your XP system. IE8 is no longer seen as 'Safe', and you will ned to select another browser.

I still use XP Pro on one computer as some of the software I use will not run on Window 7.

Terry

greybeard 11:39 07 Dec 2015

Hi Terry, Quote When you uninstall XP, unquote ???????????

I'm sorry, but I never said anything about uninstalling XP. I'm trying to install it from a disc as in my original post.

John

greybeard 17:11 07 Dec 2015

Terry, I hope my post didn't come over too negatively, but I really am at a loss as to how I am to move forward with this problem.

Going back to the original blue screen that told me I wasn't going to get anywhere, I first disabled the firewall, and tried running the xp cd again, but this gave the same result. I've now tried running chkdsk /F via the Run command,(again suggested by the blue screen) but this doesn't produce a result, the laptop just doesn't do anything.

As I'm not getting anywhere, I have bought another hdd, which with luck, may arrive tomorrow, and the problem may be shifted sideways. However, that still leaves me with a pretty useless hdd with win7 on it, but I expect I will eventually upgrade that to 10 and find a use for it. At the moment, it's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Still hoping for a response to what must be a very common problem. There seems to be such a strong feeling about the shortcomings of 7 , which are then replaced by the improvement in upgrading to 10. So I'm hanging on in there, and hoping for a result.

John

lotvic 17:31 07 Dec 2015

There seems to be such a strong feeling about the shortcomings of 7

I beg to differ, IMO W7 is excellent, it is W8 that many didn't like.

Before you ditch W7 in favour of XP you need to make sure that there are all the XP drivers available for the hardware and you will also need to install the mobo drivers, you will need to download these and save them ready to install.

Personally my advice is to stay with W7 and not go backward to XP, however if you want to go ahead you will find it useful to download from Microsoft the SP3 for XP as an .iso file which you can burn to create an update CD for Windows XP Service Pack 3 to install offline. click here

greybeard 17:37 07 Dec 2015

lotvic, thank you for the information re the source of service pack 3. We will just have to agree to differ re win 7. John

greybeard 17:40 07 Dec 2015

ps What's a mobo driver ? John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)