Replacing a laptop screen

Lisci 14:54 06 Mar 2005

My faithful old IBM 600E laptop has suffered serious collision damage, courtesy of Mr Easyet and/or Bristol Airport. The computer itself is still working just fine, when plugged into an external monitor this is, but the screen is majorly trashed.

I see that replacement screens are available for around £100 - £130 (with fitting extra); other appear from time to time on e-Bay and go for rather less. The screen and computer “lid” are a complete unit so what you get the whole “top cover” assembly, with hinges and cables attached, plus 9 screws. Question is, how easy (or difficult) is it likely to be to replace the screen myself?

It looks to be fairly straight-forward, but does anyone have experience of this kind of repair, know where I can get hold of a workshop manual or diagram, or have other advice to offer.

jack 15:07 06 Mar 2005

This topic has been well covered in recent weeks
use the left hand search field. Think of various combinations of of basic query.
Also get a copy of MicroMart out every Thursday
for parts and service.

Lisci 17:01 06 Mar 2005

I already checked the back posting for the last couple of years before posting this as a new topic. There are several which talk around the subject but none which answer my specific queries - of how easy is it likely to be to replace the screen or where to get details about this particular model.

What I was hoping for was to find someone who had actually done it!

But thanks for your suggestion of MicroMart as a source of parts. I hadn't thought of them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 06 Mar 2005

Service manual click here

Lisci 11:05 07 Mar 2005

Many thanks Fruit Bat, this is just what I wanted. Excellent!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?