Hot Topics

Replacing four year old Desktop with ?????

compumac 22:16 07 Oct 2014

I have a neighbour who knowing that I have dabbled in computers for more than twenty years has asked my advice as to upgrading his PC. As I said to him, the options these days is vastly more complex to when I started, with now a bewildering number of options available. I advised him that I would pose the question here for advice.

He currently has a Medion Akoya E4120 with an Intel Pentium E5700 processor (3.0 GHz, 2MB cache) 3GB DDR3 SDRAM, about four years old.

The most subjective programme that he uses is Photoshop for photo editing, which he does a lot. Uses Microsoft Office a lot, e-mailing and general surfing. He does not play games except Mahjong and similar low level (?) applications.

He is relatively happy with what he has but asked as to what is available now that would be more superior to what he has now. It would appear that he has offered his PC to his daughter but does not want to hand it over till he has replaced it.

He has a budget in the region of £500, wants to keep his same keyboard, mouse and Samsung 24” HDMI screen.

Looking for something off the shelf.

Suggestions??

bumpkin 13:24 08 Oct 2014

woolwells link looks good and within budget. Go for that in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

Diversity Matters more than ever in illustration

Apple doubles price of MacBook Pro RAM upgrade

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans