Replacing CD-R drive with CD/DVD

dolphinaber 14:25 11 Jul 2004

My CD-R drive has given up the ghost and I have to replace it. I can do this for about £25 but would I find an advantage in putting in a CD/DVD burner for about £60 What please would I need one for ( what does it do?) and if so can you recommend one for this price. (XP)

Graham ® 14:33 11 Jul 2004

Here's a start click here

I've got the OEM version of the first ones.

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 11 Jul 2004

If you need the extra space (c4GB) that a DVD will provide for backup purposes, then install one. But generally there is no real benefit of a DVD driver over a CD-R drive as far as I can see.

Graham ® 14:39 11 Jul 2004

It records CDs and DVDs. With the right software you could make a back-up copy of a film, for your own use of course. A DVD can also store data up to 4.7GB (9GB for dual layer), as opposed to 700MB with a CD.

Graham ® 14:40 11 Jul 2004

And you could watch a film on your PC!

Stuartli 15:10 11 Jul 2004

Rewriters are best kept for their main purpose i.e. burning whether CD or DVD based.

A new maximum speeds, top brand CD-RW rewriter is as little as £18 upwards including VAT now and a DVD rewriter from just under £50 for 8x.

If you buy one or the other, worth considering also getting an equally good value DVD-ROM drive to install software and to listen to audio CDs/watch DVD movies etc.

dolphinaber 15:24 11 Jul 2004

Many thanks Graham and Diodorus What is OEM? Think I may as well stay with CD-R.
I only use it for putting photos on disc.
Will look in Ebuyer reviews for the best one unless someone can give me some advice.
Thanks again

Diodorus Siculus 15:47 11 Jul 2004

OEM - original equipment manufacturer - generally a designation that hardware is sold with no extras such as software, cables, screws etc. Perfect for what you are doing (replacing a drive).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?