Replace tablet battery or bin it ?

RufusChucklebutty 13:32 23 Jun 2017

I have a cheap Polatab tablet that was functioning well and I want to get my moneys worth out of, it started refusing to turn on, then died altogether, I unsoldered the battery and left 5 v USB connected overnight, re solderd but still no charge, the battery has its own little pcb should I bypass that and try to charge via the tabs on the battery ?

Or shall I buy a new cheap battery off eBay, I want to know wether it will work or the tablet will still refuse to charge it ?

Could I cobble together some kind of temporary power supply to check the tablet still functions before I buy a new battery ?

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 23 Jun 2017

does the tablet power on without the battery when connected by USb?

Are you getting 5v at the solder terminals?

if so then tablet port connection OK. and battery / pcb US and a replacement should work.

RufusChucklebutty 10:46 24 Jun 2017

I booted the tablet up from the USB without the battery attached, then resoldered the battery to the PCB, its now back in operation and I can use it until I get a new battery. I will leave it switched on and charging permanently until then.

Govan1x 13:20 25 Jun 2017

If it charges when connected to the USB connection then surely it must be your charger that is at fault and not the battery. No doubt you have already tested it if so forget my answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?