Replace SR102 with Netgear R6400

barnett83 13:16 13 Nov 2016
Answered

Hi, I just purchased a Netgear NighthawkR6400 to replace my sky hub.

I am aware there are a few problems when doing this. I have obtained my sky login and password etc, however I believe my main problem is that I am currently using a dsl cable to connect my phone line to my Sky router via a microfilter, however, the nighthawk only has a WAN connection.

What is the best solution for this? Can I buy a simple adapter for the dsl cable or do I need to buy a modem (I currently do not use a modem)? Obviously I would rather an adapter as it would only cost £5 rather than £30 for a modem.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

barnett83 09:12 14 Nov 2016

I will try this tonight, thank you very much for your help and understanding.

Jollyjohn 11:58 14 Nov 2016

Having watched this thread, I think toejams solution is the way to go. As I understand it Sky are quite strict about you only using their router on their service and even with your Sky username and password on a different router it may not work and Sky wouldn't help you to sort out any connection issues.

barnett83 18:22 14 Nov 2016

Thanks for you help guys, the netgear seems to be recognising the connection through the sr102, however I am not connecting to the internet. I have trawled the internet but really cannot find anything that is workings for me. Like I said I do have the username and password, but I cannot connect to the internet even once those are input. I have turned off wifi on the sr102. I have tried DHCP off and on on both the sr102 and the netgear. Something that I have read that I might be missing is flashing the netgear with DD-WRT. Can anyone provide a step by step guide for me, because I really can't get my head round this.

Thanks again.

barnett83 18:57 14 Nov 2016

Never mind,I seem to have stumbled into success, and I am now connected to the internet. Thank you for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4