Replace SR102 with Netgear R6400

barnett83 13:16 13 Nov 2016
Answered

Hi, I just purchased a Netgear NighthawkR6400 to replace my sky hub.

I am aware there are a few problems when doing this. I have obtained my sky login and password etc, however I believe my main problem is that I am currently using a dsl cable to connect my phone line to my Sky router via a microfilter, however, the nighthawk only has a WAN connection.

What is the best solution for this? Can I buy a simple adapter for the dsl cable or do I need to buy a modem (I currently do not use a modem)? Obviously I would rather an adapter as it would only cost £5 rather than £30 for a modem.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel Hirst 13:24 13 Nov 2016

Hello Barnet,

Hopefully i can assist you as i personally have the nighthawk 7000, the router you have, I do not beelieve supports VDSL, so you will need to plug your router into your openreach modem. As for settings you need to get you sky routers MAC addres, then put this into Vendor Class Identifier String (Option 60)

Withe the username and password these need to go into Vendor Identifier String (Option 61) surrounded by singlequotes so '|' (username includes @skydsl

Daniel Hirst 13:25 13 Nov 2016

try that again '[email protected]|xxpasswordxx'

barnett83 14:05 13 Nov 2016

I don't have a modem, does that mean I will need to buy one, i can buy like a TP Link modem off amazon for about £25 which isn't too bad. Is that my next step? Thanks.

Daniel Hirst 16:05 13 Nov 2016

is it an adsl or fibre optic linr you have? you could try the settings above and plug it in :)

barnett83 16:31 13 Nov 2016

It is an adsl not a fibre line that I have.

barnett83 17:59 13 Nov 2016

OK, so is this my next step? Thanks

"I don't have a modem, does that mean I will need to buy one, i can buy like a TP Link modem off amazon for about £25 which isn't too bad. Is that my next step? Thanks."

barnett83 18:41 13 Nov 2016

click here

Thanks

barnett83 21:23 13 Nov 2016

I thought I needed a modem in order to connect the nighthawk to a dsl line?

What do I need? Sorry but I'm self-taught in this all, so naturally don't know that much.

Thanks for your help so far.

barnett83 00:15 14 Nov 2016

In response to one of your earlier replies regarding the BT openreach modem.

In reply to my last post, would that be the solution I am looking for, and if so, would the item in the following link be the correct item to buy?

Many thanks

barnett83 00:16 14 Nov 2016

This is the link

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?