Repair XP boot on Dual Boot PC

darrenrichie 22:04 18 Nov 2008

Hi Everyone

I have dual booted XP Home SP3 and Vista Ultimate SP1 for many months (using 2 partitions on one drive). Since using Vista I have gradually started to phase out XP and have used it less and less. Recently though I decided I wanted to use XP for music making purposes (what with Vista's dodgy sound drivers etc.) Anyway I accessed XP through the OS selection screen and it told my the ntldr was missing. So after looking around I found that fixing the boot sector using the XP disc should work. So I did this and upon restart I found that it booted into XP automatically and the OS selection screen didn't appear. Sooooo I then found how to reinstate the OS selection screen by using EasyBCD and such like but everytime I repair Vista's bootloader, XP just ceases to load (ntldr again). No matter what I do, if I repair one the other stops working!It's doing my nut in. Don't know why this is happening as I happily booted between the 2 for several months.
Can anyone please help or point me in the right direction? I can boot into Vista (am using it now) and if really necessary can also boot into XP if I repair the boot (fixboot using recovery console).

I have tried most solutions for repairing the bootloaders but as I say it just seems to stop the other OS from working.

Thanks in advance
Richie

woodchip 22:11 18 Nov 2008

First click here
Then take your pick click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?