Rename/Reallocate Drives?

Ma6ician 07:11 07 Jun 2010

Hi,Ive just bought a new HP Dv7 running Win 7.
It has a 500Gb Hdd as follows :-
c:\ 450 Gb
d:\ (recovery) 16 Gb
e:\ HP tools
f:\ CD Rom/DVD
What I would like to do is split the C drive roughly in two,as 450 Gb seems way to big to scan antivirus wise etc.So the C drive would become 225 Gb, wth 225 Gb (roughly) unallocated space.It will let me 'rename/assign' the unallocated as G no prob, but to keep things uniform I'd like to have the Optical drive as G.So if I rename that first! as G, will it still work fine and be found ok??.Plus will this then release F as an option to rename my unallocated section??.Many thanks in advance. Phil.

rawprawn 07:18 07 Jun 2010

Yes No problem.

Ma6ician 07:50 07 Jun 2010

Hi rawprawn, thanks for your quick response. I'm normally a bit more cavalier (Not wreckless lol)but you know those brand New system jitters :), so is what I've posted guarenteed to work?, it'll just rename and see everything ok ?. Thanks

rawprawn 09:32 07 Jun 2010

Yes rename your optical drive G, then if it doesn't rename your unallocated drive as F and chooses a different Letter, simply rename it F

Ma6ician 11:56 07 Jun 2010

Hi rawprawn,
Done all that,it was pretty much what I expected,but with a new system nice to have that reassurance before you start losing Dvd drives etc.
1:I renamed the Dvd first,it went to G no problm
2:Then I assigned the unallocated as 'F' which now showed as available,but it did prompt me to create it as 'Dynamic' as there were more than 4 partitions /system/c:/D:Recovery/E:HP Tools/F: New Volume!.
So everything fine,two quirks 1,it asked me to download Java? did so and it said it was already installed??.2: It said Windows Recovery was turned off?, turned it back on and now all seems fine.I had already run Disk DeFragmentor to make sure everything was together before I started :).Just added this in case anyone else comes across it. Thanks again Phil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?