Removing Zonealarm problems

Dellman 21:29 15 Feb 2009

I am trying to sort out my Dads's laptop - Windows XP o/s.

His connection to internet keeps disconnecting and I think it is to do with Zonealarm following latest update. Since update, he has also lost the ZA icon on desktop/taskbar. I have been unable to remove either via > Programmes > Zonealarm > Uninstall or via > Control Panel > Remove Programmes. I think it is because it is still running in the background. Any other way to switch off the application so that we can then uninstall and/or just remove the application/programme?

Any assistance is appreciated.

grey george 21:45 15 Feb 2009

Load up the task manager and kill off any process for zonealarm from there.

Dellman 21:51 15 Feb 2009

Which processes...nothing I can see says Zonealarm in Task Manager.

birdface 21:58 15 Feb 2009

With my firewall you can right click the icon on the Taskbar and press disable firewall.Not sure if you can do the same with Zone alarm.

Dellman 22:07 15 Feb 2009

Thats the problem...there is no longer an icon appearing in the task bar!!!

birdface 22:10 15 Feb 2009

click here

Now as far as I know that is a removal tool for Zone alarm.You have to copy and paste it into the address bar.I must point out that I have never used it before.

birdface 22:11 15 Feb 2009

Well it opens itself.Best of luck.

birdface 22:12 15 Feb 2009

It was from here.click here

Dellman 23:14 15 Feb 2009

Think its sorted. Going to drop ZA and Avast and go for the Comodo Antivirus/Firewall Internet Security suite - its also free. Anyone got any comments about Comodo?

birdface 11:11 16 Feb 2009

Their Firewall is one of the best but my worry is they are adding anti-virus and maybe anti-spyware on to the bundle.As this is new to them I would imagine AVG or Avast both free would be superior as this is what they were made to do.
I would use Comodo.AVG or Avast and backed up with A Squared and Malwarebytes all free.

This day and age no Security Suite is going to protect you from all of the problems that we now have.

Kaacee 11:39 16 Feb 2009

I use Comodo firewall and Avira AV, both work well together and best of all...FREE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?