removing xp updates

pookie 12:28 04 Aug 2003

Hi

XP home edition with all xp updates (critical and security) downloaded, except 811493 (from memory - the update that slows the system).

In add remove programs I have alot of hotfixs and updates. can I remove all of these without effecting service pack 1 or is sp1 some of these hotfixs? SP1 was downloaded from microsoft site. I want to delete all updates, apart from sp1, as I don't use that pc for internet use at all and I'm running out of space on hard drive. Also curious if it'll speed up benchmarks.

Many thanks

P

Big Elf 12:41 04 Aug 2003

You could always create a restore point and then experiment. However the restore files will use up disk space.

The Transporter 12:43 04 Aug 2003

BUT the amount of time it would take to work out which ones are part of XP SP1 and which are SP2 hotfixes would take a bit of time. It is faster just to install XP and then put the SP1 on. 30 mins max.

If you do want to uninstall Hotfixes etc. DO each 1 seperately and reboot after each one. Will take you a while.

SEASHANTY 16:52 04 Aug 2003

As I recall from the windows update window some of the updates I have installed on XP have stated that quote ONCE INSTALLED THIS UPDATE CANNOT BE REMOVED unquote. This is Microsofts wording so I took this to mean that you installed this at your own risk and if removal was needed you would have to delete and re-install XP completely.

pookie 19:05 04 Aug 2003

thanks for replies - re-install it is then

cheers

P

Rayuk 19:19 04 Aug 2003

What about system restore or is it turned off

pookie 08:22 05 Aug 2003

Hi

System restore - i did some performance tweaks (one of which deleted all system restore points) so i can't restore to original date after i put sp1 on. i have now reactivated system restore.

thanks

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts