Removing Icon Arrows

zootboy 15:15 11 Dec 2003

Hello everyone

I have a vague recollection of seeing a tip somewhere quite some time ago that enabled the removal of the small white arrows from Desktop icons.

Does anyone know how to do this ?

Regards

Zootboy

simplest way is to use the TweakUI powertoy from microsoft. I dont know if the legacy version for the old 9x string is still available direct but can probably be found somewhere on the web.

Jester2K II 15:57 11 Dec 2003

Search click here for TweakUI 1.33 for Win9x PC or TweakUI for XP.

Patr100 22:43 11 Dec 2003

Of course you can remove them but remember that the arrow means it's a shortcut while no arrow means it's a file in the desktop folder. If you remove it you won't be able to tell the difference - Careful what you delete......

Audeal 23:40 11 Dec 2003

I agree with Patr100 about not knowing which are shortcuts and which are file icons. I have on numerous ocasions (In Win 98)deleted what I thought was a shortcut, only to find I had deleted the file. Also when copying a file I have copied the icon instead of the file. When I had deleted the (file)icon I found that I had only a useless icon instead of the file.

My advice is to leave them as they are. I do now and I have not made that mistake since. Be warned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?