I’ve just changed processors (XP2200 to XP3000) and whilst trying to remove the thermal paste from the old XP2200 have made a good job of spreading it all over the place. Does anyone know a safe cleaner to use to remove all traces from the processor? I understand Arctic Silver is very conductive and don’t want to short out anything on top of the processor. Having said that the whole top of the processor looks lacquered so I may be worrying over nothing.
Wipe off as much as you can with a soft non-scratch cloth then clean with lighter fuel (Ronsonol or similar - the stuff you fill petrol cigarette lighters with) or isopropyl alcohol ( isopropanol from a pharmacy or Maplins click here ). Don't use nail varnish remover, despite what people may suggest, nor purple meths.