Removal of Corrupt Documents

johndrew 12:50 01 Jan 2012
Answered

I have two documents that were sent by e-mail and have a .docx suffix. I saved them to My Documents folder but have the original e-mails as well. Both claim they are opened using Word but when this is attempted they report they are corrupt and cannot be opened. They open correctly from the e-mail attachment location.

It is not possible to change the suffix to .doc, .txt, .old or any other suffix - again because they report as corrupt - and all attempts at deleting them using deletion tools (Unlocker, Glary Utilities, Spyware Terminator removal tool and similar) have failed. They cannot be moved to any other location either.

I tried booting fro the UBCD disk and deleting when not actually booted into Windows, but this also failed.

Does anyone know or can suggest a method to remove these documents from my PC?

With thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 10:14 07 Jan 2012

I have been experimenting with various way of trying to delete/overwrite the subject files including a little utility I found at the Gibin Software House and some other advice I found on this site and here . Interestingly none of the MS offerings helped at all.

As is said in the MajorGeeks site by the poster his 'favourite' is a good bet - it worked for me hopefully for any others in the same boat.

My thanks to all who offered aid, especially Secret-Squirrel who can now forget this problem and go back to enjoying life.

Secret-Squirrel 16:24 07 Jan 2012
Answer

"I found at the Gibin Software House and some other advice I found on this site and here . Interestingly none of the MS offerings helped at all....As is said in the MajorGeeks site by the poster his 'favourite' is a good bet - it worked for me hopefully for any others in the same boat."

Thanks for returning with an update for us John :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)