Reliable, free synchronisation programme

john bunyan 11:00 01 Jan 2018
Answered

My desktop has a SSD for OS (C) and programmes and a SATA (D) for all my data, including Outlook emails. I use MBAM and Defender as security. For the C drive I make Macrium images on a USB weekly. Until now I have used Freefilesynch to make a mirror copy of the D drive , also to a USD HD. The advantage is that once the first copy is done, future copying is quick as only changed files are copied. I also use Freefilesynch for copying individual folders sometimes. I used to use SynchToy , but that is out of date. In view of Freefilesynch being blocked by MBAM Premium , due I think, to spy or mal ware ( Open Candy) etc. I would like to find a similar synching programme, preferably free, that is not blocked by MBAM. Tried Allway Synch but that was blocked.

john bunyan 19:54 01 Jan 2018

I am trying SyncBack (free). Seems OK but prefer the working of FFS. No argument from MBAM on this latest programme ; will keep it unless others suggest a more FFS like one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 01 Jan 2018

I could e-mail FFS 9.6 setup file to you and you could scan it with your AV and Malwarebytes and then see if it will install.

john bunyan 20:40 01 Jan 2018

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks; Could we try that tomorrow? - how do we do that via e mail? Very helpful! I only use Defender and MBAM Premium , plus, now, Unchecky ,but I take on board rdave13's views, as there have been other comments on the web about this.

john bunyan 20:41 01 Jan 2018

Got to go elsewhere soon so will revert.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 01 Jan 2018

Click on the green silhouette by my name and you can message me via PCA, include your e-mail address and I'll email you the attached setup file.

john bunyan 22:05 01 Jan 2018

Ok - will do that tomorrow as I’m on iphone at the mo, thanks

Secret-Squirrel 11:45 02 Jan 2018

I used to use SynchToy , but that is out of date.

It's a file-sync program not a leg of lamb ;)

Seriously though, simple programs like that don't need updating. SyncToy still works well in all versions of Windows.

john bunyan 13:10 02 Jan 2018

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks; Mr Google said it was not updated for Windows 10, and I lost it when I bought a new Desktop. Will re look if FFS fails. SyncBack worked ok as well.

john bunyan 13:17 02 Jan 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Have sent e mail, thanks. On my existing 5.3 version of FFS MBAM blocks communication and although the programme runs I get a warning in MBAM reports. Can I install your file over the top or do I need to uninstall current version? I think I will do a restore point first, so could go back to status quo if needed. It is a pity that FFS sponsors don't do more to fix this issue as it is widely reported.

Forum Editor 14:24 02 Jan 2018

You can get SyncToy here.

As Secret-Squirrel says, it will work just as well in Windows 10.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus