Reliable, free synchronisation programme

john bunyan 11:00 01 Jan 2018
Answered

My desktop has a SSD for OS (C) and programmes and a SATA (D) for all my data, including Outlook emails. I use MBAM and Defender as security. For the C drive I make Macrium images on a USB weekly. Until now I have used Freefilesynch to make a mirror copy of the D drive , also to a USD HD. The advantage is that once the first copy is done, future copying is quick as only changed files are copied. I also use Freefilesynch for copying individual folders sometimes. I used to use SynchToy , but that is out of date. In view of Freefilesynch being blocked by MBAM Premium , due I think, to spy or mal ware ( Open Candy) etc. I would like to find a similar synching programme, preferably free, that is not blocked by MBAM. Tried Allway Synch but that was blocked.

john bunyan 19:54 01 Jan 2018

I am trying SyncBack (free). Seems OK but prefer the working of FFS. No argument from MBAM on this latest programme ; will keep it unless others suggest a more FFS like one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 01 Jan 2018

I could e-mail FFS 9.6 setup file to you and you could scan it with your AV and Malwarebytes and then see if it will install.

john bunyan 20:40 01 Jan 2018

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks; Could we try that tomorrow? - how do we do that via e mail? Very helpful! I only use Defender and MBAM Premium , plus, now, Unchecky ,but I take on board rdave13's views, as there have been other comments on the web about this.

john bunyan 20:41 01 Jan 2018

Got to go elsewhere soon so will revert.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 01 Jan 2018

Click on the green silhouette by my name and you can message me via PCA, include your e-mail address and I'll email you the attached setup file.

john bunyan 22:05 01 Jan 2018

Ok - will do that tomorrow as I’m on iphone at the mo, thanks

Secret-Squirrel 11:45 02 Jan 2018

I used to use SynchToy , but that is out of date.

It's a file-sync program not a leg of lamb ;)

Seriously though, simple programs like that don't need updating. SyncToy still works well in all versions of Windows.

john bunyan 13:10 02 Jan 2018

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks; Mr Google said it was not updated for Windows 10, and I lost it when I bought a new Desktop. Will re look if FFS fails. SyncBack worked ok as well.

john bunyan 13:17 02 Jan 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Have sent e mail, thanks. On my existing 5.3 version of FFS MBAM blocks communication and although the programme runs I get a warning in MBAM reports. Can I install your file over the top or do I need to uninstall current version? I think I will do a restore point first, so could go back to status quo if needed. It is a pity that FFS sponsors don't do more to fix this issue as it is widely reported.

Forum Editor 14:24 02 Jan 2018

You can get SyncToy here.

As Secret-Squirrel says, it will work just as well in Windows 10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?