Reinstall from external cd-rom

g40 18:36 22 May 2005

Hi guys, i have a laptop with an external cd-rom drive (pcmcia) I would like to put windows 98 on it but i seem to be stuck as to how to get the PCM-CIA External drive recognised?
I have read a lot and there appears to be so much conflicting advice i am at a loss as to how to proceeed, any advice would be gratefully accepted, thanks, G

Night Ryder 18:49 22 May 2005

What Op system is on the laptop at present?
If there is nothing on the laptop you will require a bootable floppy drive with CD-ROM drivers to see the drive.

If you have a genuine Win98 instalation disk you could also set the system BIOS to boot from CD-ROM drive first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 22 May 2005

1. Check in BIOS if bootable from PCMCIA drive (probably not)

2.If not bootable then is machine fitted with floppy drive? You will need to make a windows98 bootable floppy with PCMIA drivers on to run external DVD.

3. Boot from floppy, run drivers, insert windows CD and run setup as normal

Zeppelyn 19:00 22 May 2005

What exactly are you attempting to do ?

g40 20:42 22 May 2005

Sorry for the delay in response.
The laptop has no data on the HD, its been wiped using fdisk. It has an external PCMCIA cd-rom (for which i have a floppy disk with driver).
I want to put win 98 on it. When i try to install win 98 "with cd-rom support" it says that there are no drivers available and the installation is cancelled. I understand that i can install the cr-rom using the floppy in DOS, but am unsure of the procedure.

g40 16:09 25 May 2005

I got the thing started up with a windows 98 start-up disk, but then i attempted to install the external cd-rom using the file "dossetup" as supplied with the drive, but...the data on the floppy cannot be read , not by any PC, so i guess its back to the manufacturer to get the file. I think i'm going the right way about it, cheers, G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 25 May 2005

What make and model of CD you maybe able to download the drivers

g40 12:40 26 May 2005

Hi, the drive is a "General CD PCMCIA 24 x CD-ROM" drive,i have scrutinised the box and the drive for further info but thats all there is, I searched the web and driver guide without success too, thanks for trying to help, G

fitcher 22:20 26 May 2005

98 start up floppy disk sent to cd writer ?make cd ?

g40 09:37 27 May 2005

Sorry but the entire info i have on the CD-ROM is posted above, its make by all accounts is "General".
Thats whats on the box and the CD-ROM itself. I cannot find the manufacturer on the web unfortunately!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 27 May 2005

Try this driverclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)