RegSeeker

Major Disaster 12:32 02 Apr 2005

I have just downloaded RegSeeker as recommened in this forum to try to make my aging pc run faster. Being the first time i have attempted to clean the registry after 3 years of use i want to know what i could so should the worst happen. I have created a system restore, but what if my pc wont boot? Can i access system restore in safe mode (i have never had to resort to safe mode yet so i dont know the ins and outs of it)?! Please reply!

minefield 12:38 02 Apr 2005

just run it,you'll be fine

Diodorus Siculus 12:40 02 Apr 2005

Can't see anything going wrong if you follow the instructions... but a backup is always good. If it won't boot, click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Major Disaster 13:02 02 Apr 2005

Its just found 1,867 isnt that quite a lot? I got quite a lot of "extension not used" does that mean that these eneries are still important even though i havent used them? If i select all, right click, an delete selected items will system restore be able to get all the enteries back? Please advise!

minefield 13:13 02 Apr 2005

LOL just delete them all your machine will be fine and a lot cleaner,regseeker makes auto backups,So don't worry just clean it.

Major Disaster 13:15 02 Apr 2005

LOL! You laugh, im not! :). What do those auto back-ups do? I mean what happens if i cant boot? Or, i can still boot but some functions dont work so i want to restore the registry? What would i do? Please HELP!

minefield 13:19 02 Apr 2005

Trust me i've used regseeker on old machines to clean them up,And never had a problem.

Sorry about the laugh it was'nt at you,it just amused me sorry if i offended.

The extensions if needed will come back for you.

Major Disaster 13:20 02 Apr 2005

Nah dw i was just joking, ok, im gona do it! Ill report back in a mo (if i survive)!

Gongoozler 13:22 02 Apr 2005

Initially delete only the entries coloured green. Those are the ones that RegSeeker is 100% confident are safe to remove. If you look at them they are only references to deleted files etc, so there is no risk in removing them. The backups are .reg files, so double clicking them will install them back into the registry. I have never yet had a problem with deleting everything in one go, but this cautious approach will help you build your confidence.

Gongoozler 13:23 02 Apr 2005

Initially delete only the entries coloured green. Those are the ones that RegSeeker is 100% confident are safe to remove. If you look at them they are only references to deleted files etc, so there is no risk in removing them. The backups are .reg files, so double clicking them will install them back into the registry. I have never yet had a problem with deleting everything in one go, but this cautious approach will help you build your confidence.

Major Disaster 13:55 02 Apr 2005

Thanks for the advice but it came just a tad too late, ive already deleted all 1800 enteries and no porblems so far! I just scanned again and its found 260 new enteries! Where have these come from? I havent rebooted, installed, unstalled, anything!??? Please explain!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?