Registry files error/missing - can't get to login

red030 09:16 30 Aug 2018

Hello, My original issue was my laptop wouldn't load to the login screen as it was stuck on a windows update saying 64% complete but then it kept restarting and returning to the same screen over and over again.

So i tried to fix this issue with a Youtube video but I've made it worse now as when i logon a screen pops up saying something like my registry files are missing/corrupt or there is an error with them.

Unsure how to fix this issue, any help would be highly appreciated.

If this helps the whole issue started when i was rebooting and clearing my whole laptop - i powered it off as windows was reinstalling late at night so didn't want to leave it on over night. The next day when i powered it on - the 64% update screen kept popping up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:24 30 Aug 2018

power on then off again after 5 seconds - repeat three times on fourth let it boot should boot to the repair options

from thee you can select system restore (if it will let you) otherwise you might have to do a rest and use the option to keep data (note reset means you will need to reinstall third party programs on completion of the reset)

red030 14:21 30 Aug 2018

I've tried doing a system restore but it doesn't let me, how would i do this reset and install third party programs?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 30 Aug 2018

1.Select Repair your computer.

1. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can:

2. Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.

3. Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

red030 15:19 30 Aug 2018

I haven't created a system restore point in the past though?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 30 Aug 2018
  1. Select Repair your computer.

2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can:

3. Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)