From the `Registry Editor`

The Brown Rock 01:08 20 Jun 2005

For more tnan a year now at startup I get the following message every time, and most annoying I might add. "Registry Editor - Cannot import
C:WINDOWS\sp.dll: Error opening the file or file system error." I am of the opinion that this first came about as a result of deleting adaware material and was left with this as a consiquence.
It does not appear to have any effect on the workings of my computer, but how I hate that `BING` as a reminder on startup. Can anyone tell me what this file is and how I might get rid of that infernal reminder by the Registry Editor.
The Brown Rock

pk470 01:21 20 Jun 2005

Type it into google there is a number of sites that you can download the missing DLL file or how you can delete it.

pk470 01:22 20 Jun 2005

Type it into google there is a number of sites that you can download the missing DLL file or how you can delete it.

The Brown Rock 00:01 22 Jun 2005

Hello pk470
Checked out `Google` as instructed and choose "Big Mick" or some such name who gives the impression that there is a quick and `free` fix with a download from their site. After the download you are instructed to scan your system - with the download tool, which I did, to be informed that I had no fewer than 626 faults to be corrected - needles to state I was also informed that my system was in a highly dangerous condition, but all is not lost - all can be fixed!! Do I want it fixed now? Of course I do.
Fix it now please -- Yes we will, but like the motorcar, you will need a licence before you can drive it, and that is $29 for seven days. As I write this "Big Mick" is after interupting to tell me he has found even more faults, and I didn't even have to ask him. The question now is - Is he telling me the truth - is my PC about to disintegrate - can he fix all? And most important of all, can I trust him with my bank account?

Gandalph 02:12 22 Jun 2005

It's probably a scam. Quite a few sites like that one get you to download there scan software and feed you with a lot of false positives to get you to buy the licence. You probably don't have 626 faults at all. Do a check with SpyBot search and destroy or AdAware and see what they come up with. No! Do not trust anyone with your Bank Account on the Internet.

octal 07:09 22 Jun 2005

It looks like you are running Windows 98? It sounds like a program that you may have removed and this is the remnant left over from it in the registry, I don't suppose you remember what it was from a year ago.

First go to Start run and type msconfig in and have a look at the Startup list and untick any entries that look suspect, leave Systray and Explorer.exe alone. Then try removing the registry entry, this program will help remove any entries in the registry that point to nothing click here

the kopite 08:04 22 Jun 2005

Hi If you are using win 98 go to accessories system tools system infoematin click on check system files and folders choose resore a file type in which file you wish to restore and put your cd in typr C:\ windows 98 in restore to and click on the button to select your cd drive click on win 98 and restore the file if you have already done this sorry kopite

octal 08:10 22 Jun 2005

I've just found this

click here

It looks like its spyware called SP Hijacker, so run anti spyware like Spybot and Adaware

click here

click here

The Brown Rock 00:53 24 Jun 2005

UPDATE:
I tried to download "Easy Clean" but I was unable to activate the page for the download in the site.
I ran `msconfig` as instructed and the only(2) programmmes with `dll` in their makeup are as follows. (1)"Load Power Profile Run dll 32 exe powerprof.dll Load Current Power Scheme."
(2) "sps regedit-s C:\WINDOWS sp.dll."
I will have to bow to greater knowledge here and admit my ignorance in matters such as above.
Further help will be gratefully accepted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?