Refused access to certain files & folders

Wulfrune 20:52 03 Jun 2004

I want to be able to delete some unused files and folders on my D: partition of my hard drive, however even though these files and folders are empty it refuses to let me delete them saying that they might be write protected, which is not the case... I haven't write protected them or done anything to them... all I want to do is delete them without having to go as far as formatting that section of the drive, which incidently I've had to recently.... Please help, if you can. Many thanks in advance, Wulfrune

spanneress 21:30 03 Jun 2004

Are they system files / folders or ones you have created yourself?

Even if they are on a partitioned section, could they be shared with other users?

What are they?

Wulfrune 21:32 03 Jun 2004

One's I created myself for a game I play, infact the whole partition is devoted to that game.

Kraken 04:47 04 Jun 2004

Assuming you're on XP, try deleting from the CMD prompt.
If that fails try booting in Safe mode and deleting from the GUI or CMD prompt there.

If you're using FAT32 you could boot from an old Win9x Startup diskette and delete from the Command prompt there.

Wulfrune 09:36 04 Jun 2004

would you be so kind as to tell me more about deleting via the CMD, I mean I know what cmd is... it's just I've never tried to delete stuff via there before. Thanks Wulfrune

Wulfrune 09:36 04 Jun 2004

would you be so kind as to tell me more about deleting via the CMD, I mean I know what cmd is... it's just I've never tried to delete stuff via there before. Thanks Wulfrune

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?