Reformatting, without Disk...can it be done..:@S

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 20:29 23 Aug 2004

If anyone has read my last thread they know I am in trouble, and still it gets worse. My only solution (I think )as suggested by jamiebrk is a reformat...) I have read however I do not have the windows 98CD, nor the skills...lol

Please someone HELP me...:@)

powerless 20:34 23 Aug 2004

and not sure if it will work with a 98 disk as opposed to a restore disk.

Start, Run, type:

C:/Windows/Options/Cabs/Setup.exe

Not really a format as such.

Gongoozler 20:35 23 Aug 2004

You can reformat without a Windows 98 cd, the easiest way is with a Windows 98 boot floppy, but you will need a cd to reinstall aan operating system. If this is what you want, post back for more detail.

powerless 20:35 23 Aug 2004

and not sure if it will work with a 98 disk as opposed to a restore disk.

Start, Run, type:

C:/Windows/Options/Cabs/Setup.exe

Not really a format as such.

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 20:48 23 Aug 2004

Hi all....Powerless...Is the above a do or die option, and will it wipe stuff that I have not saved. I am so stupid. I have been to uninstall stuff, and I think I am just getting myself futher and futher in the poo. The shortcut to such as Show desktop, Launchoutlook 'bit' at the top of the PC that is always there has gone, and all my personal Outlook express folders have been wiped...:@(. I am scared to do anything else).

If I move all the files (doc files, and photo's mainly) I want to keep in the immediate 'My documents folder', and delete all users (To re set up a fresh), will this get rid of spyware, and the like.

Alternatavly where can I obtain a windows start up disk (and spellchecker)

I am always in your debt my fellow PC friends....:@)

PS. In a moment of frustration my a drive succummed to a slap, and has stopped working, however I have seen them in abundance at a car boot sale for 50p...Should i buy????...:@)

woodchip 20:53 23 Aug 2004

If you have not got a Win98se CD what are you going to do for a Operating System when you have removed it with Format

hubdean 20:53 23 Aug 2004

what disk have you got

hubdean 20:57 23 Aug 2004

do you want a 98se disk

There is no point in formatting a disk unless you have an operating system to put back on to it.

From EBuyer you could purchase a copy for less than £65 or you could try your luck on Ebay, but do make sure that there is a legitimate code included with EBay items.

Hubdean might have one for you that he no longer uses.

Once you have an OS disk then post back and someone will talk you through the format and installation.

HTH

hubdean 21:05 23 Aug 2004

if you want a 98se disk i got one you can have
reformating is a pice of cake

powerless 21:05 23 Aug 2004

"C:/Windows/Options/Cabs/Setup.exe = do or die?
Hi all....Powerless...Is the above a do or die option, and will it wipe stuff that I have not saved."

It should keep everything intact [but its not a format]. But backup as you never know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?