reformat advise and help required

johnnyrocker 12:15 17 Mar 2005

i have a maxtor 80 gig hard drive which i am now using as external 'f' drive in a mobile disk case (prev post refers lol) when i first bought it didn't have a clue and when i had fitted it in an old machine i ended up with only 7 gig space which i put up with til i got a new machine what i want to do is format it so i have the 80 gig available for storage off my main machine, not a clue how to go about it and am in need of help folks, from memory it has win me on it i believe but not bothered about that.

johnny

MichelleC 12:34 17 Mar 2005

It's best to fdisk and delete all partitions which will reclaim the lost gbs. Here's a talk thro click here You'll need a 98 floppy boot disc click here

woodt 12:39 17 Mar 2005

Try here for starters

click here

it's a link to microsoft knowledge base.

johnnyrocker 12:39 17 Mar 2005

will i still need a floppy boot if it is not my primary drive? i really am a newbie to this side of things.

johnny.

woodt 12:42 17 Mar 2005

click here Is a better link for formatting a slave or second hard drive.

woodt 12:46 17 Mar 2005

Have you tried the easiest option i.e right click the drive in My Computer and select format.

woodt 12:47 17 Mar 2005

Make sure you get the correct drive.

johnnyrocker 12:52 17 Mar 2005

thanks to all i think i was going to ask about the right click option and i think i will try it.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:12 17 Mar 2005

well i tried the right click/format idea and nothing happened, it is exactly the same with nothing taken off it. all i want is a big storage area and it is being a pain.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:13 17 Mar 2005

wht is the fat ntfs options and which is better to use?

johnny.

SANTOS7 14:19 17 Mar 2005

click here
this may help its a dedicated tool for formating Maxtor HDDs,good luck......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?