Redirected to siteenable what is it ?

martd7 14:21 17 Dec 2015
Answered

Over the last few weeks I've had trouble getting on some internet sites due to being redirected to "siteenable.com a proxy site for schools

How can I stop this happening,? Ive run a malwarebytes scan came up with nothing

Help appreciated thanks

Using windows 7 internet explorer

Secret-Squirrel 10:55 19 Dec 2015

........ill do that and post back

It'll only take a few seconds of your time.

The test I suggested is to determine whether your browser (or computer) is using a proxy server or not. If the results show you're in a different country and you don't recognise the Internet provider shown then it's likely you are. If that's the case then we can do something to fix it.

martd7 11:44 19 Dec 2015

Country gb,isp provider virgin media,proxy no

All ok

Secret-Squirrel 16:11 19 Dec 2015

All ok

Thanks for that.

..............I've had trouble getting on some internet sites....

Are they always the same sites? Can you replicate the problem every time or is it random?

If you have another browser installed then it'd be helpful to know if the same problem occurs there too. Likewise, if you have another PC or tablet check that too just in case your router has been compromised.

If you don't feel like answering any more questions then you could:

1) Delete IE's Temporary Internet files.

2) Reset IE. Make sure you re-enable any useful/essential add-ons afterwards - especially any security ones.

3) Download and run ADWcleaner. Note that it can be a tad aggressive so there's a small chance it may remove something useful.

martd7 16:56 19 Dec 2015
Answer

Secret squirrel ill try anything and yes it appears to be same websites,no cant replicate it everytime,ive run ccleaner but thats not had any effect and reset internet explorer

Ive used adw cleaner before but could never remove it from the pc even using revo uninstaller

Ive no other pc or tablet to use,ive used my windows8 phone and it doesn't happen

Could try different browser but have to say didnt like Firefox or chrome

Secret-Squirrel 17:49 19 Dec 2015

Ive used adw cleaner before but could never remove it from the pc even using revo uninstaller

That doesn't sound right - perhaps you installed something different. AdwCleaner doesn't install anything so there's nothing to uninstall (although it does create a Quarantine folder to store any malware it finds). When you've finished with AdwCleaner you can simply delete the file you downloaded.

martd7 18:00 19 Dec 2015

It left an icon on my desktop and a folder neither of which could be removed,the icon disappeared but the folders still there,"adwcleaner" when opened a folder called "quarantine"

I removed it somehow eventually

martd7 19:34 19 Dec 2015

after rebooting the pc everything seems ok,i haven't used adw cleaner or another browser so I assume it must be deleting temp files or resetting ie11

martd7 19:35 19 Dec 2015

Thanks everyone for your input

Secret-Squirrel 09:00 20 Dec 2015

Thanks for the feedback Mart :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4