Recycle Bin shows as always empty

Mike-256840 16:39 03 Mar 2004

on my PC - Windows XP - Can you please help solving this problem. Since one week I have noticed that any thing that has just been deleted does not show in the recycle bin when opened.
Whenever I double click and open the recycle bin, I find this empty.

Gemma 16:44 03 Mar 2004

In Explorer, right click the recycle bin and select Properties. If the "Do not move files...." is checked, that is your problem.

leo49 17:23 03 Mar 2004

This occurs quite frequently in XP[and ME].Often if you create a new folder on the desktop,drag it into the Bin,then empty the bin - this clears it and then future deleted stuff will start to show up again till the next time.

Mike-256840 17:01 25 Mar 2004

on my PC - Windows XP - Can you please help solving this problem. Since one week I have noticed that any thing that has just been deleted does not show in the recycle bin when opened. Whenever I double click and open the recycle bin, I find this empty. I have tried what Gemma and Leo 49 suggested and this did not solve the problem. Any other ideas please ?

woodchip 17:06 25 Mar 2004

Try this I do not know if it's relevant, Right click on desktop click properties click Effects click on both recycle bin icons one at a time and click after each the Default icon button

night flyer 18:37 25 Mar 2004

Right click on recycle bin and create a shortcut,
put that into the recycle bin and delete it

Denis-204561 00:08 26 Mar 2004

By "shows as empty" do you mean that the contents are invisble?

I had the same problem whenever I used "Surf Secret" to shread the recycle bins contents - future contents remained invisible until I deleted the items manually - then from then on items were visible again. Perhaps the shreading process also removed the "header codes" from the bin until normal deletion put them back

Den

Mike-256840 13:12 26 Mar 2004

Thank you crx1600, I have downloaded the No 64 as you suggested and saved it on my desktop. It did not solve the problem, may be because you said I should install this download. I am 65 and not competent, can you please tell me how to install it noe, please.
Thanks to : Woodship,night flyer, Den 125, but your solutions did not work

[email protected]@m 14:48 26 Mar 2004

Right click the Bin, Properties, uncheck 'Do not move files...' if it is ticked.

temp003 03:21 27 Mar 2004

On a recent thread with the same problem, crx1600's reg file fix may have cured it (I say "may" because files in the Recycle Bin reappeared, not immediately, but the following day - Windows can work in mysterious ways).

You can re-apply the fix. Restart, create a new empty folder, delete it and see if it shows up in recycle bin.

temp003 03:34 27 Mar 2004

You can also try this. Double click My Computer. Click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, tick "Show hidden files and folders", and untick "Hide protected operating system files". Say yes to the warning. Click OK.

Double click your C drive. You should see a folder called Recycler (if you use NTFS) or Recycled (if you use FAT32). Double click the folder. Inside you should see an icon like the Recycle Bin icon, but with a string of numbers and letters. Double click it to see if there are files inside - that's where the deleted files should be stored. If you need to retrieve any file, just highlight it and move it to where you want it.

[If deleted files do appear here, you can stop here and live with this niggle for the time being, hoping that the problem will disappear - it quite often does.]

If you want to try another soution, go back to the desktop, right click Recycle Bin, Properties, and tick the box "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin". click OK.

Then delete the C:\Recycler folder. When warned, say yes you're sure you want to delete it. [It will be re-created when needed.] If you can't delete this folder, double click it and delete the icon with strings of numbers and letters inside (if you have more than one icon there, delete all of them). Say yes when warned. These icons can definitely be deleted.

Restart computer. Right click Recylce Bin, Properties, untick the box "Do not move files to Recycle Bin". click OK. This should re-create the Recycler folder and the bin icon inside next time you delete something.

Create a new folder, delete it, and see if it appears in Recycle Bin.

If not, the last resort is do a repair reinstall of XP - a bit tiresome for such a small thing. The reinstallation will create a new bin inside the Recyler folder - with a new string of letters and numbers - this should work, but you'll have to reappy all Windows updates - which is a pain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?