Recycle Bin - how do I access it on UBS drives

Housten 17:02 11 Aug 2015

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, I am really sorry to trouble you but I am trying to re-arrange my files on ALL my drives - internal and external and have just come across a problem. I can not access the recycle bin on my external drives. If I use 'TreeSize Free' this shows me what is on the drives. So I was quite happily transferring files when I looked at a scan it did and found a recycle bin. I can use the programme to delete files, but I would like to check them first - I know I am being picky, but I do not like to throw ANYTHING away without checking it. I waqs not even aware there were recycle bin on external drives as I was under the impression whenever anything was deleted it was sent to the bin on your main internal drive. I have been deleting stuff from this for years under the impression I was keeping my external drives to a minimum use. This it would appear is entirely wrong! So all I want to do is to access the bins, check out what is there and act accordingly. Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully received.

tullie 17:19 11 Aug 2015

Never heard of a recyle bin on an external drive,its part of Windows.

Secret-Squirrel 17:38 11 Aug 2015

Housten, the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop displays everything for all connected drives. If it's not obvious which drive any particular file is from then make sure the view setting is "Details" and you'll find the info you need in the "Original Location" column.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 11 Aug 2015

Each drive has a bin when you delete an item it goes into the relevant bin.

When you empty recycle bin it will empty the bins on all drives.

Secret-Squirrel 19:14 11 Aug 2015

Each drive has a bin when you delete an item it goes into the relevant bin.

And where would Housten find all those separate Recycle Bins FB? ;)

Housten, this screengrab illustrates my point. You can see that the Desktop Recycle Bin has items from two fixed drives and one USB external drive:

tullie 20:55 11 Aug 2015

Correct SS,one recycle bin for all connected drives.

wee eddie 00:32 12 Aug 2015

My own experience suggests that Fruitbat is incorrect.

My experience is that if you delete something from an USB Drive, it goes nowhere near the Recycle Bin and just looses its tag. It can be found with the right software but is otherwise lost forever.

Secret-Squirrel 08:39 12 Aug 2015

Eddie, the general rule of thumb is that USB pen/flash drives don't have a Recycle Bin while the larger ones (that contain a conventional hard drive) do. Housten has confirmed that his external drive does have one so my suggestion will work for him.

Correct SS,one recycle bin for all connected drives.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tullie - it's frustrating when I post something I know to be accurate and I get contradicted. It also confuses the original poster.

Secret-Squirrel 08:48 15 Aug 2015

So all I want to do is to access the bins, check out what is there and act accordingly. Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Well Housten? How did you get on?

bremner 11:41 15 Aug 2015

In Windows Explorer's Folder Options dialog, ensure Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected and ensure the Hide protected operating system files option is not selected.

Open your USB external device and look for a file called Recycle Bin or $Recycle.Bin - if either is present then files deleted from the USB device will go into the Recycle Bin on the computer desktop. To "Delete from Recycle Bin" the USB device must still be connected.

Burn-it 15:42 15 Aug 2015

A recycle bin is a hard drive concept, so unless your USB drive is or emulates a hard drive it won't have one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

D&AD Awards 2019: Check out the Pencil winners from the year's biggest creative awards

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)