Recovering emails Outlook Express

pienter 20:21 14 Mar 2005

To get rid of malware I have had to reload Windows 98SE after renaming the old Windows folder. The new version of Outlook Express works fine except that old emails no longer appear in the Inbox. I have located a set of *.dbx files in a sub-folder of Identities in the previous Windows folder, but how do I get these to show up in the Inbox? Import does not work as this seems to be intended only for importing from other email programmes.

Carpigiani 21:09 14 Mar 2005

You could copy & paste 'inbox.dbx'from the old identities folder to the new one.

Wak 21:10 14 Mar 2005

Hi Ken, I can't help with your problem direct but there is a firm click here who supply a free program called OE Reader which will read all dbx files.
Put the name in Google.

Carpigiani 21:11 14 Mar 2005

Obviosly I meant the Outlook Express sub-folder of identities.

Carpigiani 21:25 14 Mar 2005

If you have any problem finding where to paste your indox.dbx the easy way to find where your messages are stored is to go to:

Outlook Express/Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder

pienter 19:41 17 Mar 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I am afraid they didn't work, but what did work was to go to File/Import/Messages/MS Outlook Express 6/Import from a Store Directory/ and then browse until the folder where the *.dbx files are located. After importing, these appear among the Local Folders of the new Outlook Express screen.

rawsongreen 17:46 18 Mar 2005

Thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)