Recording on DVD from TV programme

James McGrory 19:43 01 May 2018

I am looking for someone to record a Channel 4 series on DVD (for personal - not commercial use). An element of editing (for referencing episodes only) would be desirable....but not essential. I have not been able to find anyone, who does this commercially.....so would be happy with a private transaction. Can anyone help/suggest? James McGrorry ([email protected])

wee eddie 21:36 01 May 2018

Unlikely

James McGrory 22:47 01 May 2018

Unlikely ?? It hardly seems an unreasonable thing to want.....so why does no-one do it? James

john bunyan 23:11 01 May 2018

I used to do this when I lived abroad. I have a HD / DVD Panasonic recorder that I used to use for recording on the HD then labouriosly editing out the ads and finalising so the DVD could be played on another player. It was quite a faff. Then there was which DVD format - DVD - RW or DVD - RAM - can’t remember. These days I use catch up or just the HD and haven’t burnt a DVD for years. Also did the same using my previous PC that had the old Media Centre Edition of Widows XP.

Hope you find someone, maybe try a loca PC group. If you have a PC with a DVD writer you could get a usb tv card/ recorder and do it yourself as , for example, Happauage WinTv cards have such software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 01 May 2018

so why does no-one do it?

because the programs are copywrite - you can record for yourself and use "fair use"

you are certainly not allowed to make money from the recording by charging someone else for a copy

James McGrory 23:24 01 May 2018

Thank you, Christian! Like yourself, I've spent most of my life overseas - where making home recordings on DVD was common! Not here, it would seem......and the TV people seem to consider that there is not much of a market in keeping DVD masters of many interesting programmes......which are then lost! Your advice is constructive - and much appreciated - but I'm not tekkily inclined........and was looking for someone to do it for me (for a fee). So far.....no joy!

James McGrory 23:28 01 May 2018

I'm aware of that, Fruit Bat......it is for my own personal use - but I don't have Know-how to do it myself, so am quite happy to pay someone to do it for me! No copyright infringement, there!

hastelloy 08:56 02 May 2018
  • so am quite happy to pay someone to do it for me! No copyright infringement, there!*

The person selling the copy to you would be infringing copyright.

James McGrory 09:28 02 May 2018

Rubbish! He would not be "selling" the discs for commercial profit....but simply being compensated for his time & effort! It would be exactly the same as he or I recording (at home) - which is quite legitimate!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 02 May 2018

simply being compensated for his time & effort!

that's where the problem lies - if done for nothing would be OK.

James McGrory 11:44 02 May 2018

OK, Fruit bat......Do you know anyone who might do it for nothing? (....and perhaps accept a GRATUITY, in appreciation)? This country no longer has a can-do culture......prefering, instead, to think up all sorts of ingenious reasons (excuses ?) why anything CAN'T be done!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?