Realplayer installation problem

hallgreen 11:44 31 Aug 2008

I'm trying to install Realplayer to listen to a BBC local radio programme (that will have gone by tomorrow!). I can't get it to install. I've had helpful suggestions about alternative players which I've downloaded but I don't have the technical knowledge to get them to play the clips. Therefore I do need (at least for now!) to use the much derided Realplayer.

Everytime I try to download it whether from an Old CD, the BBC link or Realplayer.co.uk it stops during installation (at 31% complete on BBC site, 64% on Realplayer site)and just sits there for ever. You can't even stop it you have to turn off the computer.

I did have it on my computer before a virsus problem last week. Since then it hasn't worked so I've uninstalled everything (I think!) but the re-install just will not happen. I've disabled Norton security in case that was an issue but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

ened 12:38 31 Aug 2008

I don't have realplayer installed but all BBC programmes play on my machine in IE.

Are you sure you have it right?

hallgreen 12:48 31 Aug 2008

Thanks. I can get national radio, national Tv etc but local radio doesn't yet have the new BBC iPlayer and doesn't seem to work (well not for me anyway!)

tullie 12:49 31 Aug 2008

Quite right ened,the BBC has its own player,you dont need Real Player.

brundle 14:23 31 Aug 2008

click here

RP is still used for some programmes but I did entirely forget that the IPlayer based stuff only requires Flash. Apologies for any confusion.

click here

Flash Player click here

rawprawn 14:31 31 Aug 2008

Try downloading the old Real Player V10.5 from here. I have had problems with the new one.

click here

hallgreen 14:50 31 Aug 2008

I've tried version 6, 10.5 and the latest one and sadly they all do the same thing.

rawprawn 15:41 31 Aug 2008

Try running CCleaner in your registry, and then run the cleaner, then try again.
click here

hallgreen 17:02 31 Aug 2008

Tried CC cleaner sadly still no use. You can see why people throw their computers out of the window! As you can see I know nothing about them but I'm sure if someone was here who did they could look and in 2 mins say "that's the problem". Whereas I've spend 2 days just trying to download realplayer to hear about 10 mins of a programme!

I'm still hopeful for a miraculous solution but as the programme will disappear forever tomorrow morning I've probably wasted 48 hours. Just shows I should have listened to it live!!

Anyway thanks for the replies. Anymore gratefully accepted.

rawprawn 17:33 31 Aug 2008

What Firewall and Antivirus are you using?
Turn them off and try again.
Or download Real Player, and then try installing in Safe Mode.

rawprawn 17:35 31 Aug 2008

click here for some guidance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?