A REALLY stupid question - Windows Explorer

VoG™ 23:42 15 Feb 2003

When I use this at home (XP) or work (98) I have a plain background, whether I select Thumbnails, Details or whatever.

I've recently been working in a client's office and they run both 98 and 2k 'puters. All of them show a sort of jazzy background in Explorer. How do I do that?

Taran 23:56 15 Feb 2003

I'm not sure if this is what you're driving at, but in XP if you open up a folder, right click in it and select the "Customise this folder" option. You can reach the same option from the "View" drop down menu.

Under Windows 98 (I'm going from memory here so this may not be 100%) start Windows Explorer (Start, Programs, Windows Explorer) then select to the folder you want to alter.

Right-click the desired folders background, then select "Customise this Folder".

You get 3 (I think) wizrad driven choices: 1. Create or edit an HTML document, 2. Choose a background picture, 3. Remove customisation.

I could be a little awry there, but its along those lines.

regards

Taran

Taran 23:58 15 Feb 2003

And my apologies for the mangled spelling in the above. I forgot to use the spell-checker (again) before posting.

T

Sir Radfordin™ 23:59 15 Feb 2003

click here and it may help :-/

Think you normally have to enable the "view as webpage" option. This is something I would not recommend. Looks nice but adds nothing to the system and can be the cause of hangs/freezes etc.

VoG™ 00:04 16 Feb 2003

Sorry for being thick but if I do that I don't get that option. I can change the appeance of folders but I cannot change the background in the folders themselves.

VoG™ 00:09 16 Feb 2003

I don't get the "View as web page" option. What have I done?

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:10 16 Feb 2003

In Windoze explorer go to view-customise this folder and select an option from there. U have just put a rather natty clouds bmp as a background for my c drive folder. ;-))

G

MAJ 00:10 16 Feb 2003

In Windows 98 you have to change the C:\Windows\Web\Wvleft.bmp file, it has to remain at 182x237 pixels, not sure about XP though.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:11 16 Feb 2003

In Windoze explorer go to view-customise this folder and select an option from there. U have just put a rather natty clouds bmp as a background for my c drive folder. ;-))

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 16 Feb 2003

...the drawback is that it causes double postings.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:14 16 Feb 2003

Cor, I've changed the text to red!

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?