For a device to be compatible and useful it must conform to these requirements:
- The removable media's capacity must be at least 256 MB (250 MB after formatting, Windows 7 reports in its Event Log a required minimum of 235 MB.
- Windows Vista x86 & x86-64 is limited to using 4 GB; this restriction has been removed in Windows 7.
- Windows 7 allows up to eight devices for a maximum of 256 GB of additional memory, with up to 32 GB on a single storage device.
- The device must have an access time of 1 ms or less.
- The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device, and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device.
Most USB sticks are capable.
Autoplay must be enabled in Windows (Security updates may have switched it off to stop viruses and malware from Auto loading from memory sticks)