Read this if you have a USB backup drive

Pineman100 18:12 29 Mar 2006

Everyone else in the world may know this, but I've only just discovered it! It may help someone.

I recently added an external USB hard drive to my system, to use for backing up. A couple of days ago I tried to overcome an unrelated problem by using System Restore - and it failed. I tried restoring to several different restore points - they all failed.

Turning this over in my mind, I realised that SR was monitoring both my internal HDD and my external USB HDD - and when I tried restoring to an earlier time, the USB drive was switched off. This must have been what screwed it up.

So I turned off SR on my backup drive (thinking about it, you wouldn't want that drive restored to an earlier time anyway, would you?). I then reset SR to start from scratch on my internal system drive, and created a new restore point. And it worked. SR now monitors only my system drive, and seems to restore when needed with no problems.

Forum Editor 18:41 29 Mar 2006

because I doubt that "Everyone else in the world" does know that.

On a similar theme - I use a USB Flash drive for archiving my Outlook email, it's handy to be able to slip the archive into my pocket when I'm travelling. Exactly the same thing applies - if the drive isn't attached to the computer when I launch Outlook there are immediate problems - Outlook always wants to load its archives when it launches, and if these are on an unplugged drive it makes a huge fuss, and pops up an error message. No amount of clicking will lose the message, and the only thing to do is find the drive and plug it in.

woodchip 21:41 29 Mar 2006

Best thing with System Restore, Is only have it working on the Operating System Drive Partition. Turn it off on all other drives you do not need it.

woodchip 22:30 29 Mar 2006

You have to connect them first. USB or other, you then click the drive then go into settings to turn them off

woodchip 22:40 29 Mar 2006

Then it does not work with yours. It does on mine as it puts a folder on each partition as on main drive

woodchip 22:43 29 Mar 2006

Folder Is System Volume Information,

If this folder is on your USB drive then System Restore is enabled for the drive

woodchip 22:47 29 Mar 2006

PS if it is enabled and the drive is switched on when you turn the computer off, it will slow shutdown down. After turning restore off for a drive the folder should not be deleated as this will re-enable restore to the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)