Re-sizing photo file sizes for web site

diamondlil 18:33 10 Jun 2008

I'm having my first website designed but uploading the images is down to me. I have images of the things I stock on CD roms from my suppliers but the file sizes are too large to use 500KB plus. Is there a way to change these file sizes or do I have to take photographs myself in a smaller size.

Thanks for any advice.

brundle 18:34 10 Jun 2008

Copy them to your HD, batch resize them with Irfanview click here

anchor 10:38 12 Jun 2008

This claims to be a free simple batch re-sizer for jpg`s.

click here

Kemistri 15:23 12 Jun 2008

I'd be interested to know why your website designer is leaving the image uploads to you, unless he has put a CMS into place. I wouldn't dream of leaving a client to do something that is not their responsibility.

diamondlil 12:26 13 Jun 2008

Thanks for the quick responses. Going to try your suggestions and see what happens.

Kemistri - the website design package is a "self-build" idea and imagage resizing/uploads They were available as an "extra". I thought I could manage it myself but I'll have to wait and see. By the way, what is CMS?!

Thanks again all.

Kemistri 15:26 13 Jun 2008

Content Management System. It's what we designers sometimes put in place to allow clients to update content without touching (and potentially messing up) the technical markup.

Arnie 16:59 13 Jun 2008

This may be of use to you.

I use it for compressing pictures to be sent by e-mail.

click here

Arnie 17:02 13 Jun 2008

"for compressing"

Sorry. For resizing.

Kemistri 20:47 13 Jun 2008

The Image Resizer is unsuitable for use in website content management because it does not provide any control over JPEG compression. This is a variable that should always be optimised for web use and has to be carefully controlled for best results. Images that are intended for use in websites should be managed by a proper image editor such as the GIMP, Paint.net, PSP, PhotoImpact, Photoshop, etc.

woodchip 22:44 13 Jun 2008

Most Images on the Net Use Gif format click here

Kemistri 22:58 13 Jun 2008

"Most Images on the net use Gif format"

What makes you think that, woodchip? Anything that needs a large palette will be a JPEG (obviously) and it is increasingly commonplace to see anything graphical rendered in PNG now that it is properly supported across platforms. I stopped using GIFs in my projects quite some time ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?