Re-siteing router nearer the centre of the house

Sian Wiseman 12:15 01 Feb 2018

My main phone line is in my study and if doors are closed it is difficult to get wireless connections to the upstairs rooms. How do I extend the cables to place the router in the middle of the house?

[DELETED] 12:24 01 Feb 2018

It depends what service you are on, lengthening the line can affect your upload/download speeds, it's best to discuss that with your provider to see if it can be done, it can be done, but needs to be done correctly so you don't unbalance your line which will affect the speed.

wee eddie 13:12 01 Feb 2018

These are what you need. Power-line Adaptors. Not necessarily this brand but I would recommend any model that is "Pass-through"

Your Router must be plugged into the Telephone Master Socket

1]: [click here

john bunyan 14:03 01 Feb 2018

I using wee eddie's suggestion, you can get these with wi fi at the non router end.

Forum Editor 15:43 01 Feb 2018

Powerline adaptors can work very well, but you need to be aware that your house wiring needs to be in good condition - any suspect cables or connections will create problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The Huawei P20 Pro is the best phone for artists, designers and photographers

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment savoir si quelqu'un a bloqué votre numéro de téléphone ?