Re installing xp home ed

rickilambert 09:12 08 Aug 2008

hey peeps im trying to reinstall xp on mums pc after a botched effort of vista business edition by her partner

n e ways she doesnt have the cd, although the key is on the label on the top of the machine

what i have done is downloaded the home edition OEM dell cp cd off of the net and plan on using the cd key thats on her pc for the install - i hope that isnt illegal?!

anyways the downloaded version i have when i unpack the rars gives me

1 nfo file (descriptive piece by the creator)
46 rar files

how do i burn this to a cd? i need to make an image dont i wich i can do with power iso, but surely the image needs to contain an exe at least? or do i make an image of all the rars? or alternative to that! do i unpack all of the 46 rars aswell?

cheers peeps

BurrWalnut 09:39 08 Aug 2008

I don’t know about your downloaded Dell CD but an OEM CD is about 570 MB in size and contains 5 folders and 7-9 files depending upon the service pack.

I can't imagine a Dell CD being so vastly different, i.e. an i386 folder must be present.

rickilambert 10:04 08 Aug 2008

yes it is exactly 570mb in size! that was a good guess ;) as for the file system it just has a shed load of rars, i spose i could try extracting he contents of all of the rars?

Ditch999 11:47 08 Aug 2008

It would be easier if you knew someone with the same XP version, eg XP Home SP2, and had a disc you could borrow.

But yes, you would need to extract all the compressed folders (46) then burn them on to a CD.

Read the nfo file (use notepad)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)