Re-installing Windows XP problems

araine 22:15 30 Jul 2008

My PC will not boot properly up so I have just attempted to re-install Windows XP. After a few minutes of running the Windows XP setup disk, I get a blue screen and the message "Setup is starting Windows".
so far so good! Sadly, I cannot get past this screen, nothing happens after that for well over an hour. Can anyone give me any advice?

Strawballs 22:18 30 Jul 2008

Try cleaning the disc.

Giggle n' Bits 00:16 31 Jul 2008

Also when runnign a Factory recovery you must remove Printers, and other external devices like Web Cams, other things just keep screen, keyboard & mouse. As install may get confused and try to install drivers which arn't available.

Also if you have changed any of your hardware like a AGP card, upgrade hardware it may need to be reversed before trying again. Another tip is is you have a Card Reader, then unplug this as all your Drives when complete may be out of drive order like a Card reader may go to C:

And as strawballs M8t says clean the disk and also make sure the drive is working correctly.

Ditch999 16:36 31 Jul 2008

You might need to install a SATA driver when setup starts by pressing F6 and putting a floppy disc in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?