Re formatting hard drive

prozac1947 10:50 01 Oct 2003

Due to lack of patience i reformatted my hard drive and forgot to make a set-up disc before i started.

When i put in my Windows'98 disc, it gets up to "searching if enough disc space" gets up to 61% and a message appears - "insert diskette into drive B)
HELP PLEASE !!
Thanks
Sue

expertec 10:57 01 Oct 2003

If you need Boot Disks click here

prozac1947 11:04 01 Oct 2003

Thanks, think I can do it - but am on old comp which has no cd rom drive or floppy drive, so will have to install those from new comp to download and then re-install !!! Also it says "98 OEM or Custom without Ramdrive - I rebuilt my comp after having it built by an incompetent ! so don't know which one it is
Thanks
Sue

pj123 12:18 01 Oct 2003

prozac1947, I think you have lost us all now. You say, "When i put in my Windows'98 disc, it gets up to "searching if enough disc space" gets up to 61% and a message appears - "insert diskette into drive B)" and in your next response you say, "but am on old comp which has no cd rom drive or floppy drive," What Windows 98 disc are you using then?

MjM Hellfire 12:24 01 Oct 2003

Do you have two diskettes? Just wondering why your floppy drive is not drive a: not that it really matters.

You are obviously on here via another pc that has no cd-rom or floppy...is that correct?

Hi sue , if you change your bios setting to boot from your cd, the computer will then make you a new start up disk ie while its insatlling your windows prog,,

Hi sue , if you change your bios setting to boot from your cd, the computer will then make you a new start up disk ie while its insatlling your windows prog,,

prozac1947 12:48 01 Oct 2003

sorry to confuse you. My new comp is the one with problems. When i reformatted before I put in the floppy set- up disc and then my Windows'98 installation disc - all went well.
This time (I lost old set up disc) I just put in the Windows'98 installation disc - without the set-up floppy, but it won't go past the initial first stage of installation.It asks me to put in a diskette into b drive (which I presume is the set up floppy disc - which I haven't got).
Sorry to be a bit vague but when you say change the BIOS setting where is this ?? When I put in the installaion disc it says - Do you want to boot from CD Rom and Boot from Hard drive. Is that what you mean??
I am only using my old computer, which is a skeleton ! just to get online.
NOw I am confused !!!!! :)
Thanks Sue

pj123 18:00 01 Oct 2003

sortme out. One of the responses is "There is no CD rom or Floppy drive." So it doesn't matter what the BIOS is set to. How do you put a boot disk or boot CD in?

prozac1947 10:40 02 Oct 2003

OK: To contact here I am using my old computer to get online, it is just a skeleton - no CD or Floppy drive.

The one with the problem is my new one - which has both.

The fact that the floppy is "on the blink" is yet another story!!!
Hope this explains all
thanks
SUe

PA28 10:57 02 Oct 2003

Get into your BIOS whilst holding down the del key on initial boot-up (some machines use other keys to enter what they call "setup" - F2 is common - look for a message somewhere near the base of the screen). It may be worth getting a friend to make you a boot floppy - what intrigues me is that it's asking for b: drive; the normal drive letter is a: and b: is reserved for another floppy drive or when the identity of the drive is swapped for copying. It looks as if your BIOS may be doing just this, in which case it's high on the list for adjustment (look for an entry labelled Floppy Drive Swap (or similar) and set to disable).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?