Random Temporary Freezes With Internet Crashes

Felix 12:41 14 Sep 2019

I've looked aroud and haven't found anything quite like this, nor have I found a fix. I don't know if it's my hardware or some software since I've used Antivirus, Malwarebytes and some Maintanance programs.

What happens is every so often my pc will completely freeze for about 30 seconds to two minutes, usually whatever audio is playing will continue especially if it's youtube. At the same time my internet will always crash until about 30 seconds after the freeze. Sometimes it wont crash, and my computer will begin to tank and use up 100% CPU and that will cause my internet to slow down incredibly. I don't really see how the two are related but they always happen together. Crashes range from two or three times a day to every few minutes but seems to happen slightly more when playing games that require high specs. It has only been happening for the last few months, and I've owned this PC for a couple of years now. I've got no idea how to fix this, I'm not sure if I'd have to replace something in the PC but I don't want to unless I know I have to.

Processor: Intel Core I7-4790K RAM: 16 GM Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti HDD: 1TB

wee eddie 13:20 14 Sep 2019

Just a thought: Have you cleaned the dust out of it, lately.

If you decide to do so, pay particular attention to the Graphics Card, between the Heat Sink's Fins which are frequently enclosed.

Felix 13:33 14 Sep 2019

I've cleaned out the fans, but not the graphics card itself. I'll try it and get back to you. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 14 Sep 2019

If picture freezing but sound OK the agree with wee eddie that graphics card is first thing to look at.

Task manager and processes tab will tell you what is using 100% CPU

Felix 14:44 14 Sep 2019

When its using 100% CPU it usually ends up switching rapidly between chrome, Sedlauncher (Which I've disabled), System and Windows Error Reporter. Though normally these are all fine. Also something I've noticed is when I'm doing something on the taskbar like connecting to the internet, that doesn't freeze. The connecting animation just kept going instead of freezing like everything else on the screen. I have no idea what that means.

Felix 14:52 14 Sep 2019

Ok it's definitely the GPU. The Task manager has that at 99% even when everything else is normal.

Felix 15:46 14 Sep 2019

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)