Random PC Shutdown When Using Headphones

avg14yroldboy 19:53 22 Aug 2019

If, for example, I was too put my headphones down on the computer, plug them in or move the jack around the PC would randomly shut itself down as if the power was cut off. It doesnt happen every time but it definitely hapens at least 4/10 times. This can be especially annoying when I'm playing games because even movement in the wire can trigger it and I have to boot it all up again and reload the game.

I dont know the cause of this but I presume it's to do with the PSU as I have checked the wiring in the part where I plug it in to see whether it's triggering the power button. I also have a few usbs and other things plugged in.

Hopefully someone is able to tell me why this is happening here so I know whether I'm making a mistake before I buy a new PSU.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 24 Aug 2019

Is this the headphone socket built into the motherboard or one that runs of a header to the front panel?

Sounds as if something is shorting in the socket or you have faulty headphones. a new PSU is unlikely to solve the problem.

1. try different headphones
  2. if its the socket on the motherboard buy a front panel socket an use that
  3. if its the front panel socket replace either the socket or the whole front panel.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)