random identification of ancilliaries

johnnyrocker 20:27 18 Aug 2005

win xp pro sp1
i have only two usb ports on board and because i needed more capacity a couple of years ago i purchased a power 4 port hub to carry camera and scanner, just lately and more frequently when i boot up the camera icon has had a red cross as is the scanner, on investigation there are no lights on the hub a restart resolves every time but it is getting a bit annoying, any ideas please?

johnny.

Technotiger 20:53 18 Aug 2005

Hi, I too have a powered 4port hub - just a thought, but perhaps your power unit is getting a bit worn-out? If you can, try it with another power supply - or - rather than doing a re-start, try just disconnecting then re-connecting the hubs power supply.

Cheers.

johnnyrocker 20:56 18 Aug 2005

thanks for that i shall try it dont quite understand the restart resolving

johnny.

Technotiger 21:03 18 Aug 2005

Doing a re-start - as far as the hub is concerned, that is exactly the same as doing what I suggested - ie disconnect/reconnect power supply to hub.

johnnyrocker 21:06 18 Aug 2005

ok i will try that next time the prob occurs.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 10:53 20 Aug 2005

well i disconnected power from hub and re connected no change in problem still no lights on the hub (co incidentally a belkin as another poster has similar issue with) as posted earlier a pc re start generally resolves but is a bit of a pain. any other ideas please?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 12:39 20 Aug 2005

any takers?

johnny.

Technotiger 15:01 20 Aug 2005

Hi, two possibilites - 1st, change hub usb connection to other port - 2nd, get a 4port pci usb2 card and connect hub to one of the usb2 ports on card.

Cheers.

Technotiger 15:08 20 Aug 2005

ps - or: 3rd, don't bother with hub at all, just get a pci usb2 card with 4 ports.

Cheers.

johnnyrocker 15:08 20 Aug 2005

thanks for response no probs trying the first but i dont have any usb2 facility.

johnny.

Technotiger 15:10 20 Aug 2005

You would have with a usb2 pci card - I have one in my case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?