random freezes with 98se

pookie 12:28 16 Oct 2003

hi

compaq presario laptop model 1215. the pointer just sticks every now and again but quite regularly and i have to rebbot to clear it. it's never when i do a particular thing. sound/video/modem drivers are up to date. I don't get any error messages. do any 98se users get this/have had this and how did you fix it?

many thanks

P

johnnyrocker 12:58 16 Oct 2003

depends on age but would suggest remove temp i/net files run disk clean up and in safe mode both scandisk and defrag performance should improve.

cheers

johnny

pookie 12:59 16 Oct 2003

sorry, forgot to say that a mouse doesn't work at all on the laptop if this helps.

P

pookie 15:01 16 Oct 2003

thanks for the reply - defragged etc but still freezing - any other thoughts?

thanks

P

pookie 15:01 16 Oct 2003

thanks for the reply - defragged etc but still freezing - any other thoughts?

thanks

P

Diemmess 15:57 16 Oct 2003

Quote from your second posting - "forgot to say that a mouse doesn't work at all on the laptop if this helps."

You clearly have mouse trouble. The "pointer" presumably moves most of the time answering the touch pad. Is the mouse shown in Device Manager?

If it is, try the old one of "removing" it from Device Manager and rebooting.........If that doesn't work, I would try again with a borrowed mouse, or disconnect the mouse altogether until you are sure the computer isn't still freezing.

pookie 15:09 17 Oct 2003

hi - as an update it still freezes. but the clock also stops - i only noticed this last night as i thought i'd leave the 'freeze' to see if it came out of it but 10 mins later at the clock hadn't changed since the screen froze - does this help in narrowing down the cause?

thanks

P

PA28 15:33 17 Oct 2003

Try shutting down all applications (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and End Task on all tasks shown EXCEPT Explorer and Systray. See if your clock (and laptop) keep going. Leave it for an hour or so. If all OK then you probably have a conflict with one of the background applications running. If this is the case, reboot and run MsConfig (type it in the Start>Run box). Go to startup items and uncheck most of the startup items. Go to the first tab and check Selective Startup. Reboot and then go back into MsConfig and tinker methodically with the Startup items until you find the program that's causing the problem (this might take you quite a while, incidentally). You could also run SFC (System File Checker) to ensure that your system files are intact and restore as necessary from your installation disk if prompted.

pookie 11:57 18 Oct 2003

hi and thanks for replies.

did the above and still freezes at randon. removing mouse and rebooting detects it but mouse still doesn't work - nor does another mouse i tried. sfc did find a corrupt file and i installed this from 98se disc but still that freeze - any other thoughts?

P

PA28 22:43 21 Oct 2003

Format, reinstall and cross your fingers. Or live with it.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?