RAM Upgrade

Boy Zone 12:31 15 Mar 2004

Hi,
I want to upgrade my RAM from 512 to 1GB. I currently have DDR PC2100, XP Home edition, Mother board is MSI 648 Max, clock speed 133MHz.
PC build by Muitlivision.
The option I have is to either buy a new RAM module 1Gb, or another 512. Problem being, I don't know the manufacture of the current RAM module, and I'm concerned about mixing and compatabilty broblems. Should I?
I would like to get the fastest RAM, but not have to get another morguage. Would I knotice the difference between PC2100 and PC3200? I realisethat if I put a faster 512 into my PC it will only run at the lowest RAM speed.

matthew-293741 12:40 15 Mar 2004

If your motherboard is fitted with PC2100 then i would check first and foremost what the maximum speed DDR it will take, mine for instance will only take up to DDR2700. so type your MOBO name into google and check the manufaturers website.

vaughan007 12:43 15 Mar 2004

"Hi, I want to upgrade my RAM from 512 to 1GB"

Unless you edit videos and DVD's you will not notice a terrific gain in pc processing power.

"Problem being, I don't know the manufacture of the current RAM module, and I'm concerned about mixing and compatabilty broblems. Should I?"

It does happen, but it is quite rare. So you probably dont have to worry.

"ld I knotice the difference between PC2100 and PC3200?"

Maybe. But like I said...depends what you use your PC for.

Diodorus Siculus 12:46 15 Mar 2004

Have a look at click here and enter your details into the memory selector. They guarantee compatibility.

Boy Zone 12:47 15 Mar 2004

I do use it for editing video and making DVD's, that's why I need more RAM, Mother board supports DDR 200/266/333MHz and up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts