RAM update is not recognized

dangerusone 09:45 07 Nov 2016
Answered

I have an old Packard Bell Easynote with 2 x 1GB PC2-5300 Ram, I updated it to 2 x 2GB as I understand it would recognize 4GB maximum. Going into "System" it shows 4GB But 2.87GB usable. Is this normal or have I done something wrong installing it?

Jollyjohn 10:03 07 Nov 2016

I suspect you have a 32bit operating system and so this will only recognise about 3.5GB RAM. And I would reckon you have onboard graphics which is using about .5GB - you may be able to reduce this in BIOS / Setup

Burn-it 16:57 07 Nov 2016

The OS matters not; it is the motherboard chipset that limits the RAM and as said, some will be grabbed for system resources such as graphics and device buffers.

dangerusone 08:18 08 Nov 2016

Jollyjohn, how do I alter it in the bios. It is one I had given to me so I am not too bothered if I mess things up. I'm trying to learn a bit more about PCs. Old and curious.

alanrwood 09:34 08 Nov 2016

The OS does affect the amount of memory accessed. Jollyjohn is correct.

click here

Jollyjohn 10:13 08 Nov 2016

To enter setup / BIOS tap Del or F2 as laptop starts - these are the commonest ways. If you provide model number of the Easynote I will double check.

Look for Graphics Properties, probably under Northbridge or Southbridge properties. I expect RAM assigned to be about 512MB, reduce to 256 and see if that makes a difference.

A 32 bit OS can only address Binary 2 to the power 32 which gives about 3500 hence it can only use that much RAM.

dangerusone 20:38 09 Nov 2016

Jollyjohn, I can't find Graphic Properties. All I can find is System Overview Bios Version 206/Processor Intel R Core TM2/CPU T5500 @1.66GHz/Speed 1667MHz/System Memory 2936MB. The Model is as far as I can see is Packard Bell Easynote BU.I can't find anything under North/Southbridge, is that the processor.

BRYNIT 22:31 09 Nov 2016

You will not get more than the 2.78GB usable due to the age of your computer. Have a read of CLICK HERE this will explain why you are only getting 2.78GB usable.

Jollyjohn 10:49 10 Nov 2016

You will need to look through the different tabs and menus to find the graphics info, possibly listed under "Integrated peripherals".

Brynit's link is a good one.

dangerusone 16:30 10 Nov 2016

Brynit & Jollyjohn thanks for the helpful replies, the link explained it well although a lot of it was above me. One thought struck me was would installing Linux make any difference. as I said the Notebook is only to mess around with and try to learn a bit more about what makes them tick.

Bris 20:36 10 Nov 2016
Answer

The same rules apply to Linux.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs smartphones Honor