RAM problems

Handy Spinner 15:29 25 Feb 2004

My computer (which has 256Mb of SDRAM, 32 devoted to graphics) seems to run out of RAM easily. Right now, I'm down to about 10MB.

What can I do about this state of affairs? The display of my programs often goes haywire when this happens.

Thanks.

Handy Spinner 15:31 25 Feb 2004

...but I forgot to say that I especially want to get this computer's internet working well since I plan to set up ICS for a network with this PC as the gateway.

Thanks again!

duplo 16:27 25 Feb 2004

What OS are you running?

Handy Spinner 16:53 25 Feb 2004

Win 98 SE

duplo 17:31 25 Feb 2004

It depends what s/w your running. Win 98 should be OK on 192 ram. Perhaps another 256 would do the trick.

In the mean time, use control/Alt/Del to see what is running in the background. If you have a lots running in the background, is there anything you dont need? By cutting this down you should free up some RAM.

I ran ME on 128 for quite some time with no problems (well, only the fact that it was Windows ME and utter rubbish). I only got more when I went to win 2K.

If your using this PC as a gateway, I would get more start off with a clean install and see how it goes, perhaps putting in another module of RAM if there is a performance problem.

Sometimes a computer just fills up with junk and adware progams that after time fill up HD and RAM.

When was the last full format and install?

duplo 17:32 25 Feb 2004

Sorry

" I would get more start off with..." is ment ment to be " I would start off with"

Handy Spinner 17:41 25 Feb 2004

...when I last reformatted it. However I do remember doing it.

If possible, I don't want to have to reformat and reinstall everything again. For me it's a stressful and time-consuming process, and one which I could really do without.

I've just got my new HDD working, so there's plenty of space available.

Re: s/w running, I have firewall, A/V, MSN Messenger, and MDM (whatever that is) running, in addition to the necessary processes. Also Personal Web Server.

I was really wondering whether there was a memory leak or problem with the RAM or OS.

Thanks for replying.

Handy Spinner 23:48 09 Mar 2004

...I think the OS isn't freeing up the memory after I close programs. Hence why games like Civ 3 won't always work after I've been opening and closing programs.

Is this likely at what can be done about it? Would it be best to install Win 2000? If so, I would like to do so as a dual-boot system.

Thanks

Handy Spinner 23:49 09 Mar 2004

* 2nd paragraph, 4th word should be "and"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts