RAM motherboard problems on my desktop PC

[email protected] 17:23 15 Sep 2016

I have an MSI E350DM-E33 motherboard and two DDR3 4GB 1333mhz RAM Modules. When installed together the system properties state 8gb installed, 2.75gb available. I have tried each one individually and I get a similar result; 4gb installed, 2.75gb available. The motherboard manual and specs state it can handle up to 8gb 1066/1333mhz.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have a fault? Would new RAM modules help?

Many thanks, Paul. :-)

Bazzaman 18:01 15 Sep 2016

Are you running Windows 32 bit (rather than 64 bit)?

Windows 32 bit restricts to 4GB in total and, in practice, due to some overhead it never gets to 4GB (although 2.75GB seems on the low side). I typically see 3.4GB.

[email protected] 18:30 15 Sep 2016

Many thanks for your response.

Oh I wasn't aware of that. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. If it was upgraded to 64 would that then allow the full 8gb?

Cheers, Paul :-)

Bazzaman 18:46 15 Sep 2016

Yes it would.

But do you need the extra memory? If all you do is web browsing, emails a bit of Office type stuff (e.g. Word / Excel) then you maybe OK as you are. But if you are into video editing / heavy photo editing and other memory intensive apps, then more memory available would be good.

It's not an upgrade to 64 bit, but a complete re-install of the operating system and all the your software. Not to be undertaken lightly if you aren't in to that sort of thing.

Also, if you have some very old devices (e.g. printer, scanner) they may not be compatible with 64 bit (if no compatible 64 bit drivers). 64 bit OS requires 64 it drivers. 32 bit OS needs 32 bit drivers.

Also possible to run into some issues with old 32 bit software applications having issues under 64 bit OS, but in the main 32 bit software does work OK under 64 bit OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4