Radeon - Strange Problem

Iceman1978 22:09 21 Aug 2003

I have just sold my geforce gfx card. Before buying a new one I tried our brothers gfx card a radeon 9700, which seems to cause a problem with the right shift key, I play Counter Strike & use the right shift key to walk. When using the radeon and I move it only walks as if the shift key is stuck down. If you press the shift key once while pushing forward on the keypad, it starts to run, but then walks again if you press left or right. I put my geforce back in and it works fine. I have now just bought a radeon 9600 & it does the same with this gfx card as well. Has any one else had this problem. This happens in our brothers computer as well, he assumed that his right shift key was broken, but this is not the case.

Iceman1978 22:43 21 Aug 2003

The problem seems to be caused by the fact that key lock in switched on. This does not cause a problem with geforce gfx cards. Why is this, is there some dodgy setting???. I had to turn the num lock on & off just to set the keys for counter strike correctly, seems a bit mad.

Ironman556 22:56 21 Aug 2003

I had a problem with my Geforce 4 Ti4200 after upgrading from an ATI Rage. It seems that the drivers and software don't uninstall fully when you remove the card. After trying to hunt down every remaining file, with no change, the only way I could get around the problems was to reformat to remove all traces of the other company's drivers.

It happened to me the other way too, I replace the Geforce with a Radeon, and had problems when going back to the geforceAgain a reformat was the only way I could stop the errors.

(Mostly illegal operations, and driect draw errors.)

ordep 07:56 22 Aug 2003

This may be of some help then, if its the old drivers causing the prob. click here

Jester2K II 08:00 22 Aug 2003

Detonator Destyoer removes all traces of Detonator Drivers - find it in the download section of click here

pookie 08:59 22 Aug 2003

Hi

does driver heaven program work in your experience. old drivers are such a pain to get rid of properly.

P

Iceman1978 00:34 24 Aug 2003

Turning off seems to have the opposite affect as to when its on. When it is on I can't even set my left & right keys for games

Iceman1978 12:13 06 Sep 2003

After buying a 9600 pro, the problem I mentiod in the first post, doesn't occur, this is using the drivers that came with the card. But it caused another problem where you cannot get back to the menu screen while playing cs, as the screen just go's black. I installed the latest drivers from ati. This solved the problem, but the problem mentiod in the first post has returned.

kane_2002k 14:27 06 Sep 2003

do have some problems with half life engine i remember reading, go to click here and see their forums as these problems are discussed widely there. Also the forums are visited by the actual people behind the radeon drivers (catalyst makers).

Mike D 15:16 06 Sep 2003

"do have some problems with half life engine i remember reading, go to click here and see their forums as these problems are discussed widely there. Also the forums are visited by the actual people behind the radeon drivers (catalyst makers)."

Latest Catalyst 3.7 drivers, released this week are supposed to address this Half Life problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?