radeon card,any good

iqs 20:53 14 Mar 2004

hi my new pc has an intergrated graphics card,ati radeon 9100 igp with dx9.my question is ,is this card any good.will it handle games like halo,unreal etc.the reason i ask ,i visited my local pc world seeking a new card.i was willing to spend about £60-£70.the sales man advised me that the one fitted was better then the ones i was thinking of buying.save your money.is he right ,or are there ones in my price range which are better.any feedback appreciated.thanks iqs

gudgulf 21:24 14 Mar 2004

Have a look at click here

Judge for yourself.

IMHO as a general rule you will need to be looking at graphics cards in excess of £150 in order to do full justice to the games you mention.

thedarkside 23:58 14 Mar 2004

If your graphics are integrated, then you most likely have a graphics chip on the motherboard, and not a card at all.

The games you mention are cutting edge grahics intense ones and really do nead quite a heavy duty card to do them justice. I have two PC at home, one with a MX 420 card, the other with a FX5900. The difference in performance is significant, as is the difference in price.
Bottom line is - Performance and frame-rate tend to cost money. You pays your money.......

Shop around as there are surprising differences in price for comparable cards. Good Luck.

The Sack 00:42 15 Mar 2004

the 9100 is not a DX9 chip either

clayton 00:52 15 Mar 2004

How about this one click here

fitcher 12:34 15 Mar 2004

I have a few machines I have made over the years and I have a radion card ,I have found that .with the latest version of direct x 9//.often,, I can not get my older games to run ,so I use my other computer with a lower spec and directx 8 to check and they they run ok .so I would try games out .also there are a lot of radion cards made by third party companies ,and there is a vast difference in performance between them ..I think I should have stuck with ATI's own make .but that is only my opinion .g luck

iqs 21:19 15 Mar 2004

hello and thanks for all your replies.after reading your opinions i think i will invest in a quality graphics card.i dont buy on line and have round £120 to spend.any recommendations.thanks iqs

hello and thanks for all your replies.after reading your opinions i think i will invest in a quality graphics card.i dont buy on line and have round £120 to spend.any recommendations.thanks iqs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts