Qvo6 - Should I be worried?

pwncesszoe 09:26 06 Jul 2018
Answered

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not that tech savvy.

Today I installed malwarebytes and ran a scan on my PC and it found 2 issues which were related to a browser hijacker called Qvo6. I think they were registry entries or something like that.

I run Norton Internet Security and do regular full system scans with it and it never discovered these.

I since googled Qvo6 and some sites are saying it can steal passwords etc? so now I am worried, should I change all my passwords for my emails and internet and banking etc etc.? It would take me hours and hours to change passwords on all my accounts so I thought I would check first if Qvo6 is something that would warrant that much effort?

I haven't noticed any suspicious activity on my accounts thus far.

If it helps, Malwarebyes listed the threats as:

"PUP.Optional.Qvo6.ShrtCln" - Registry Value

"PUP.Optional.Qvo6.ShrtCln" - Registry Key

Thank you for any help!

Secret-Squirrel 09:49 06 Jul 2018
Answer

Should I be worried?

I don't think you need to worry for two reasons:

1) Malwarebytes identified it as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) which is the least serious type of threat.

2) Just two rogue Registry entries can't steal your passwords nor cause any damage. If Malwarebytes had found application files as well then it would be a different story.

pwncesszoe 09:20 16 Jul 2018

Thank you :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:13 16 Jul 2018

Just let Malwarebytes clean them off your computer

scan malwarebytes several times until it finds no threats as sometimes malware comes in "layers and needs cleaning several times to remove all layers.

It might also be worth downloading and running ADWCleaner also free from malwarebytes as this will get rid of any browser addons that Norton and Malwarebytes misses.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)