Hot Topics

"Old Virus Definition File" message

Yimbo 10:22 19 Feb 2020
Answered

On start-up this morning, a box appeared with the above heading - and the message: "Your virus definitions file is currently out of date. Contact your System Administrator on how to up-date them." I'm using a personal PC Windows 10 and have never seen this message before. Can anyone tell me what it means and what, if anything, I should do about it? Thanks!

wee eddie 10:38 19 Feb 2020

What Anti Virus Software are you using?

If it's a free Version of something, you may need to Update the Definitions Database, manually

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 19 Feb 2020
Answer

If you have not used the machine for a while or not had it connected to the internet then your AV is advising you to connect to the internet so it can update the virus definition file. Most AVs will do this automatically as soon as they connect.

My laptop gives this message when I use it in places where it cannot connect and check for the latest version. Once connected it soon sorts itself out.

Yimbo 13:30 20 Feb 2020

Thanks folks! Issue seems to be resolved!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?