Quick question re USB and USB2

HawkeyePierce 11:26 04 May 2003

Just a quickie. Will *most* accessories (eg Scanners) that work with USB2.0 be backwards compatible with USB1? I only ask cos I suddenly find myself in need of a new scanner and most are now labelled as USB2. Very confusing.

Thanks in advance

powerless 11:27 04 May 2003

Yes they "Should" work.

HawkeyePierce 11:37 04 May 2003

don't it get annoying when everything now has to be "should" and "might" and "could"?

powerless 11:42 04 May 2003

YES it will work you may get a message saying USB2 controller not found or something similiar.

The connections are the same its just the speed at which data travels is different.

powerless 11:42 04 May 2003

YES it will work you may get a message saying USB2 controller not found or something similiar.

The connections are the same its just the speed at which data travels is different.

HawkeyePierce 11:54 04 May 2003

Thanks Powerless.

I know it's a HUGE difference in transfer rates (12Mb/s and 400+ isn't it?). I might even get a USB2 PCI card in the future. It's just the scanner I need today. Damn power cable on the current one has packed up. And, like printers, it can be almost as cheap to buy a new scanner instead of hunting down a replacement adapter.

I was going to leave it another 12 months and get a 'decent' scanner, but looks like it wasn't to be. Another £35 special offer coming up I feel :o(

PS: I hope you didn't think my last (sarcastic) post was aimed at you? It was aimed at PC manufacturers who seem to insist on upgrading peripherals and we're left hoping they work with our PC.

Rayuk 14:45 04 May 2003

One word of warning re usb2 read in a magazine recently where they are labelling them as full speed and Hi speed.Where full speed is actually the 1.1 vers and Hi speed is the 2.0 vers.I mention this as the hardware in question was a scanner.

HawkeyePierce 20:38 05 May 2003

Funny you should mention that. I bought the scanner (HP Scanjet 3500c) and no mention of USB on product, though it was listed online (in more than one place) as USB2 Full Speed.

You must be psychic ;o)

Problem solved.

(PS : Scanner OK too)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts